Family Tree of the Adlers, Edwardses, Hogans, Lipscombes and Olivers

Frank Edwards (1886 - ), and Ivy Ethel Violet Winter (1888 - 1955)

Married: 19 Feb 1918, Salvation Army Hall Thebarton, SA, Australia

John Edwards
Born: 24 Sep 1847, Newcastle, Monm., England
Christened: 28 Nov 1847, Llangattock Vibon Avel, Monm., England
Died: 15 Jun 1905, Wedderburn Junction, Vic, Australia
Buried: Wedderburn Junction, Vic, Australia

Mary Ann Abson
Born: 1848, Wakefield, Yorks, England
Died: 1926, Wedderburn, Vic, Australia
Buried: 1 Sep 1926, Wedderburn Cemetery, Vic, Australia

Born: 2 Dec 1886, Mt Korong, Vic, Australia



H.J.W. Edwards
Born: SA, Australia

M.E. Edwards
Born: SA, Australia

R.F. Edwards
Born: SA, Australia

D.T. Edwards
Born: SA, Australia

R.H. Edwards
Born: SA, Australia

William Alfred Winter
Born: 19th c.

Mary Broadhurst
Born: 19th c.

Ivy Ethel Violet WINTER
Born: 16 Jan 1888, Adelaide, SA, Australia
Died: 30 Jan 1955, Adelaide, SA, Australia

F. Edwards
Source: Birth - Victorian Pioneer Index on CD-ROM (1836-1888).

I.E.V. Winter
Source: Birth - South Australian Births (1842-1906) [AL]. Death - SA Deaths, Registrations 1916-1972 [AL].

Marriage source: SA Marriages, Registrations 1917-1937 [AL].  

Story: Frank Edwards (1886 - )

From Arthur Lipscombe, added to this site 9 Apr 2003

Frank Edwards was born and grew up on his parents' farm at Mt Korong. His father died in 1905 when he was nineteen, and his mother remained on the farm for another 9 years until early 1914. She then moved into Wedderburn township.

Frank's war records from the National Archives in Canberra tell the following story about his war service.

At the time the first World War began, Frank was a carpenter. Frank enlisted at Wedderburn Junction on 30 November 1914, aged 29, height 5 ft 8 inches (173 cm), and weighing 127 lbs (58 kg). He was recorded as a member of the Baptist church. On 23 February 1915 he was made a private in the 3rd Reinforcements, 5th Battalion, of the Australian Imperial Force, at Broadmeadows.

In April 1915 he was in Egypt, with other ANZAC troops, training for service in the Middle East. On 5 May 1915 he landed at Gallipoli and a week later on 12 May he was wounded in action, with a gun shot wound to his right arm. He was shipped out to Malta where he was admitted to military hospital Imtarfa on 17 May. On 27 May the Secretary of Defence sent a letter to Frank's mother, Mary Edwards, advising that he had been wounded, but no further details. She did not receive further information from the AIF until 27 September, when she was told of his hospitalisation and tranfer to England. Mary named her house in Wedderburn 'Lone Pine' after the place on Gallipoli battlefield where Frank was wounded.

On 26 June, Frank was transferred to Pembroke Camp in Malta, and on 2 September he embarked on the Regina D'Italia (Queen of Italy) for England. On 9 September he was admitted to military hospital in Lewisham, south of the Thames in London, and on 16 September he was admitted with rheumatism to No. 1 Australian Auxiliary Hospital at Haresfield, Middlesex, not far from London. In September 1915 his mother and sister Hannah sent letters to the Department of Defence because their letters had not been getting through to Frank. They were both worried about him having been wounded, and about him not getting the support of their letters.

On 19 January 1916, 14 months after he enlisted and less than a year after he left Australia, he embarked on the Star of Victoria from Portland, England, to return home. On 3 February his mother was informed by the Department of Defence of his imminent return.

On 10 June 1916 he requested immediate discharge from the AIF, the request being witnessed by Sgt. F. Fuller when Frank been home on leave in Wedderburn. His request was accompanied by a letter from Captain R. O'Sullivan at HQ in Melbourne, the Staff Officer for Invalids, supporting his discharge. In 1918, when he applied for a war pension, he was living in Thebarton, Adelaide. He was awarded the 1914-15 Star in June 1921, and in May 1922, the Victory Medal.

Frank married Ivy Young and became a member of the Salvation Army. They lived in Adelaide where they raised their family, and where Frank had a position of importance in the Adelaide jail. On a few occasions in later life, Frank was able to visit his Victorian relatives.

Frank Edwards c.1915

Frank Edwards c.1915

Site version: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 11:36 AM
© All stories are copyright by their writers.
© All photos are copyright by their contributors.
If no source documentation has been specified above, details may have come from word of mouth. Disclaimer