Family Tree of the Adlers, Edwardses, Hogans, Lipscombes and Olivers

Johann Gottlieb Adler (1821 - 1891), and Johanne Christiane Uebergang (1822 - 1911)

Married: c.1845, Gros Rosen, Prussia

Gottfried Adler
Born: 18th/19th , Prussia

Maria Rosina Neumann
Born: 18th/19th , Prussia

Johann Gottlieb ADLER
Born: 7 Jun 1821, Bersdorf, Silesia, Prussia
Died: 5 Oct 1891, Gnadenthal, Penshurst, Vic, Australia


Ernstine Adler
Born: 25 Dec 1845, Bersdorf, Silesia, Prussia
Died: 17 Sep 1925, Gnadenthal, Penshurst, Vic, Australia


Caroline Adler
Born: 1846-8, Bersdorf, Silesia, Prussia
Died: Oct 1848, Hamburg, Germany

Frederick Adler
Born: 27 Feb 1850, Woodford, Vic, Australia
Died: 25 Aug 1936, Warracknabeal, Vic, Australia

John Adler
Born: 4 Aug 1851, Woodford, Vic, Australia
Died: 16 Sep 1910, Murtoa, Vic, Australia
Buried: Murtoa, Vic, Australia


Charles Adler
Born: 10 Sep 1852, Woodford, Vic, Australia
Died: 10 Aug 1905, Grovedale, Vic, Australia
Buried: Grovedale, Vic, Australia


Edward Adler
Born: 29 Jan 1855, Woodford, Vic, Australia
Died: 18 Jan 1941, Carnegie, Vic, Australia
Buried: Wyalong, NSW, Australia


James Adler
Born: 30 Oct 1856, Winslow, Vic, Australia
Died: 31 Jul 1933, Murgon, Qld, Australia
Buried: Murgon, Qld, Australia


Gottlieb Heinrich Adler
Born: 7 Oct 1858, Winslow, Vic, Australia
Died: 15 Sep 1939, Murtoa, Vic, Australia
Buried: Murtoa, Vic, Australia


Ernst August Adler
Born: 10 Nov 1860, Winslow, Vic, Australia
Died: 18 Jul 1930, Ashens, Murtoa, Vic, Australia
Buried: Murtoa, Vic, Australia


Maria Emma Adler
Born: 2 Apr 1863, Winslow, Vic, Australia
Died: 12 Jun 1940, Newtown, Vic, Australia
Buried: Herne Hill, Vic, Australia


Luise Mathilde Adler
Born: 13 Jan 1867, Winslow, Vic, Australia
Died: 7 Dec 1947, Prahran, Vic, Australia
Buried: Springvale, Vic, Australia


(Carl) Samuel Uebergang
Born: 1795, Silesia, Prussia
Died: 5 Feb 1887, Green Lake, Vic, Australia


Anna Rosina Karge
Born: 1799, Silesia, Prussia
Died: 1889, Green Lake, Vic, Australia

Johanne Christiane UEBERGANG
Born: 1822, Merzdorf, Silesia, Prussia
Died: 28 Oct 1911, Murtoa, Vic, Australia


J.G. Adler
Source: 'Uebergang Families in Australia 1848 - 1985'.

J.C. Uebergang
Source: "The Uebergang Families in Australia".

Marriage source: The Uebergang Families in Australia 1848-1985.  

Story: Johann Gottlieb Adler (1821 - 1891)

From "The Uebergang Families in Australia, 1848 - 1985", added to this site 13 Dec 2000

Christiane and her future husband were born in neighbouring villages, and it is probable that the two families were well know to each other.

Little is known of their early lives. Christiane, if not Johann, was probably baptised and confirmed in the nearby Gros Rosen Church; and they were probably married there. An old family story has it that Johann was born into a Catholic family, and that ages before the Adlers had been Jewish. It is said that Samuel (his wife's father) only gave Johann permission to marry Christiane on the condition that he join the Lutheran church.

It is also know that Johann had several brothers and sisters. Most remained in Germany, but it is believed that one brother Traugott migrated to America; while Johanna Eleonore Tschirner nee Adler, with her husband Johann Wilhelm, and family later migrated to Victoria. Eleonore was probably Johann's sister, and the Tschirners lived with the Adlers at Winslow, and later moved to Murtoa. The Tschirner daughters, Pauline and Ernestine, married Christiane's brother Wilhelm Uebergang and her nephew Edward Presser, respectively.

During the first years of their marriage the Adlers lived at Bersdorf and Johann appears to have followed the agricultural pursuits of most of the other Silesian villagers: on the shipping records he is listed as an 'agriculturalist' and 'shepherd'. Their first two children, Ernstine and Caroline, were born at Bersdorf.

Samuel Uebergang's decision to emigrate to Australia with his family was to have a profound affect on the Adlers. Another old family tradition has it that Johann was at first reluctant to leave Prussia, but that he finally decided when Samuel was insistent that Christiane and the children would sail - with or without her husband!

For reasons unknown Christiane's brother, Carl Uebergang, sailed earlier than the rest of the family. He embarked on the Alfred at Hamburg on August 15, 1848, and was two months at sea before the others set sail on the Wappaus in October.

Details of those fateful days are few. The family travelled to Hamburg prior to embarkation. There they ran into a cholera epidemic, and both Johann and his daughter Caroline contracted the disease. While Johann survived, his daughter didn't and they saw her buried the day before they sailed.

Apart from Johann (27), Christiane (26) and Ernstine Adler (3), Christiane's parents and their single children (Anna Rosina, Dorothea, Wilhelm and Caroline), the Wappaus passenger list also included many other villagers from the same province. Several of these were later to be involved with the Uebergang family in Australia, and all were influenced by the decade of Silesian migration to Australia which had preceded them. All members of the Uebergang - Adler party were listed as 'Protestant' and literate; and in one record Ernstine Adler is listed incorrectly as 'Uebergang'.

The Wappaus was five months at sea, and arrived at Port Phillip on March 7, 1849. One memento of the voyage was a brass telescope, supposedly given to Johann by Captain Peteser of the Wappaus. This is held today by Johann's grandson, Bill Adler at Murtoa.

Almost immediately after arriving at Port Phillip, the Uebergang - Adler party, and many others, trans-shipped to a smaller vessel, a coastal trader called the Mary, and sailed to Warrnambool. There they were met by a squatter, Mr Adophus Goldsmith, who owned the 'Trawalla' station in the Beauford district. Carl Uebergang's movements at that stage are unknown, but the rest of the family were among a large number of emigrants Goldsmith took in bullock drays to work at 'Trawalla'. The station was situated near Lake Learmonth, at the headwaters of the Emu Creek, and the Uebergang - Adler party stayed there for nine months.

In late 1849 or early 1850, the family moved south again, to a farm on the Merri River at Woodford, and so established a base for the family in the Warrnambool district. This property was rented for five years, and during this time Johann made money by carting produce to the goldfields.

After more Uebergang and Peucker relatives arrived in 1853, Johann employed Johann Wilhelm Peucker and Johann Gottlieb Kranz (also possibly related), and later G. Voigt, building fences and doing other farm work. Many years later Kranz's daughter, Henrietta Christiane Holtkamp, wrote of the kindness shown by the Adlers and the Uebergangs when her parents' small cottage burned down.

Along with other family members, the Adlers used the services of Rev. P.T. Beamish of the Warrnambool Church of England during their five years at Woodford. After 1854 the pioneer Lutheran pastor, C.W. Sch?rmann from Hochkirch (Tarrington), commenced his horseback ministry in the south, and subsequent baptisms (and confirmations) were performed by him.

In the mid 1850s Johann and Samuel disposed of the Woodford farm, and there was to be a general exodus of the Uebergang family to the Hopkins River at Allansford. The exact details are unknown, but in 1856 Johann and his brothers-in-law, Wilhelm Uebergang and Carl Presser (who had married Anna Rosina Uebergang), applied for naturalisation as a group, and took the oath of allegiance together on September 1, 1856. On his naturalisation papers, Johann (incorrectly referred to as 'Adlir') is listed as a farmer of Hopkins River (County of Villiers), Allansford, Warrnambool. Whether he did, in fact, live at Allansford for a short time after leaving Woodford, or it was merely a family address for receiving mail, is unknown. However, by October 1856, if not earlier, he had purchased land in his own right at Winslow.

Johann bought 320 acres of crown land at Winslow - the maximum allowable by the Government - and farmed and grazed there for 18 years. He continued to make money by carting produced to the goldfields, selling potatoes, ham, bacon and butter to the hungry miners at Ballarat and Bendigo.

A few details of his trips have survived. Johann often camped en route at Fiery Creek (Beaufort district). At night he would lay sovereigns on the wagon pole and walk 3 times around the wagon - a superstitious practice which he believed would prevent robberies. During his absences, which often lasted many weeks, Christiane would care for the family and manage the farm work alone. At times she would also have to manage the troublesome, albeit friendly, Aborigines. On one occasion when Johann was away the Aborigines came into the house, and after roasting a possum on the fire, they placed it on the mantelpiece where no one was allowed to touch it.

Johann was also recognised for his veterinary skill, and was often called on to treat skin ailments on livestock. He made his own medications by grinding and boiling grasses and herbs which had first been hung to dry in the ceiling. In those days, when doctors were scarce in country districts, he even treated human diseases. In all cases he never charged for his services, and his name was long-remembered in the district.

By 1871, with Ernstine married and settled at Gnadenthal near Penshurst, Johann was anxious to find land on which his sons could settle. His brother-in-law Wilhelm Uebergang had selected on the newly opened Wimmera Plains at Drung Drung (near Horsham) in 1869; and at the urging of his son Ned, Johann also began to consider moving north.

With his eldest sons Ned and John, and a neighbour Michael Tobin, Johann travelled into the Wimmera towards the end of 1871. At Marma Gully (later to become Murtoa) he found that a number of South Australian land seekers had just arrived; and with them Fred, John (and Tobin) all selected neighbouring blocks, north of Lake Marma. The following year Johann and three of his sons again trekked to Marma Gully and built a house, fences and horse yard on Fred's block. Because it was open plain country there was little clearing to be done. Some of the family, including Fred, remained in the Wimmera to put in the first wheat crop.

Writing in the Warracknabeal Herald in 1933, Ned Adler recounted those early days:

'We started off ploughing with two single-furrow ploughs and two horses each - bigger ploughs were unknown then. We had not worked many days when along came a well-dressed gentleman on a fine upstanding horse. The first words he said were:- "What do you lads think you are going to do there?" I looked at the man wondering if he was going to order us off. I informed him that we were breaking up the land to grow wheat. He sat back in his saddle and laughed. "Growing wheat! I am the manager of Longerenong Station. We have tried to grow wheat for years for hay, but it was always a failure. You must remember we have only a 17-inch rainfall here and the hot winds start to blow ... It is a crying shame to turn down that beautiful oaten grass at it will remain bare for years." "Where do you come from?" he asked. "The Warrnambool District", I replied. "Well, the best advice I can give you is to go back." We told father of this very discouraging news we got from the manager of the station and dad replied: "Well, boys, we are here and not going to go before we give it a fair trial. No doubt the station would like to see us go. I will see the South Australian farmers now camped near the lake about one mile away and get their opinions." They informed him that in parts of South Australia they grew good crops on a much less rainfall. "Take no notice of the squatter," they said. "He wants to get rid of us." We put in 20 acres for the first year - 1872. Some of it was a bit late, but the spring was good. It was hand-reaped with the reaping hook and threshed with a little tread-power threshing machine, yielding a little over 5 bags to the acre. The variety was Purple Straw and White Lamas ... In 1873 and 1874 the land selectors came in great numbers every week from all parts, so the squatters' runs were soon all taken up and it was easy to see who had to go. All through the 70's the rainfall was fairly good - so encouraging for the new selectors.'

The brothers returned to Winslow in 1873 and brought the rest of the family to settle permanently at Marma Gully.

That year, if not earlier, Johann and his sons Charles and Ned all selected neighbouring blocks of approximately 320 acres each at Ashens, south of Lake Marma. It should be noted, however, that unlike most settlers, Johann's main intention was to establish his sons on the land, rather than himself. Consequently, having procured land for them, he built each of them a house, and gave them stock and capital to begin their farming lives.

Moreover he also assisted them in a practical sense. Johann's practice was to live with each of his sons in turn and assist them to develop their farms. Then when they married, or circumstances seemed opportune, he would move to another block and so be in a position to assist other sons. It is probable, in the early days, that Johann and his sons farmed a number of their blocks collectively.

The first Adler settlement was Fred's selection, adjoining John Adler's block. After Fred and John both married in 1875, Johann and his family moved to Ashens, where they lived on Ned's selection. After Ned married (1881), Johann moved to his own block next door.

In 1881 Johann sold his Winslow farm, after having let it since moving to the Wimmera. It was bought by the neighbouring farmer, Tobin, although it continued to be known as 'Adler's paddock' for many years. The following year Johann selected 171 acres at Bangerang near Warracknabeal, as well as purchasing 316 acres from a neighbour, John Deutscher, at Ashens. The Bangerang land was leased and eventually sold to his son Jim, while Johann's original Ashens selection was later sold to another son, Harry. When Harry married (1886) Johann moved onto Deutscher's former block which he farmed with his youngest son August. In 1887 Johann cropped 148 acres, and was running 36 head of cattle and a number of horses. After August married (1888) Johann retired from active life. He sold his block to August and he and Christiane moved back to Harry's farm where they built another house. They were living there when Johann died.

Johann and his sons were among the first settlers at Murtoa. As at Winslow, they experienced all the hardships of pioneering life. All dwellings and farm plant had to be built, generally using timber cleared from the land. Sowing and harvesting were done by hand, often with wives and children assisting. Until 1878, when the railway was extended to Murtoa, the nearest station was a Stawell, 40 miles away, and all wheat had to be carted there.

The Adlers also witnessed the development of the agricultural industry, and the rural community. Johann, Fred and John were all foundation members of St John's Lutheran Church, Murtoa, and Johann was one of the trustees of the original slab and pug, thatched building which served as the church, hall and first school. As such he was involved in discussions with the education department prior to the Government assuming control of local education. From 1875 he was also trustee of the newly purchased Lutheran property in Duncan Street, and a member of the building committee for the new church 1876-1877. In the 1880's he was involved in the Murtoa and Central Wimmera Agricultural and Pastoral Society.

Johann took ill on a visit to his daughter Ernstine Mirtschin at Gnadenthal, when an influenza attack led to bronchitis and a paralytic stroke. He died, aged 70 years, surrounded by his children who had been summoned by telegram. Johann's remains were returned to Murtoa where he was buried by Pastor C.G. Hiller, the Lutheran clergyman who had served the family's spiritual needs since the earliest days of the Wimmera. The death of that generous and genial man was much regretted by the whole community.

Christiane continued to live on Harry's farm until he sold it in the 1890's. When the new owner began to charge her rent, August moved her house through the fence onto what had been Ned's block, but which he had since purchased. There she lived alone until August built a new house nearby in 1908. Because of her increasing age, Christiane's house was moved again and joined to the new house.

Christiane died of dropsy three years later, having been predeceased by her husband, an infant daughter, two sons, two daughters-in-law and several grandchildren. In her old age she was nursed by her sister-in-law Caroline Uebergang from Drung Drung, but even at the advanced age of 89 she had few grey hairs. Christiane was also buried by Pastor Hiller. She had lived in Victoria for 63 years.

The above is extracted from
The Uebergang Families in Australia 1848 - 1985
© The Uebergang History Committee, 1985,
Quoted with permission.

Johann Adler

Johann Adler

Christiane Adler, nee Uebergang

Christiane Adler, nee Uebergang

Site version: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 11:36 AM
© All stories are copyright by their writers.
© All photos are copyright by their contributors.
If no source documentation has been specified above, details may have come from word of mouth. Disclaimer